The parish of Sacred Heart, Westmead came into being on February 1, 1951, when Rev James Collins was appointed parish priest.
From the outset, Mass was celebrated in Westmead Boys' Home until a church was built and opened on March 28, 1954.
The need for a parish was largely due to a large Housing Project which had begun immediately after World War II.
The parish purchased a house adjacent in 1956. In 1975 the permanent school was built and opened with the help of a Government Grant. The basement of the church was also used for classrooms.
Rev Leo Mahon followed Rev Collins in 1963 as the second parish priest.
In 1964, the plans for building regional secondary boys and girls' schools in Westmead were commenced, as well as the building of a monastery for the Marist Brothers in 1966. The Mercy Nuns came from Parramatta each day to staff Catherine McAuley College. The Brothers conduct Marist High.
In 1999 the primary school was extended and improved by the Catholic Education Office, increasing the enrolment of the school to over 200 students.
In recent years, a large part of parish pastoral work has been the care of patients in Westmead General and Westmead Children's Hospitals. Also included is care of patients in Westmead Private Hospital, Cabrini Nursing Home, Mayflower Nursing Home and Westmead Rehabilitation Centre.
In December 2002, the care of both the parish and the hospitals was transferred to the Camillians (Ministers of the Infirm).